I loved that the Image guys turned into a worse tyrants than brass at the
companies they hated so much. Mcfarlane is a piece of work.

The issue that Gaiman wrote was one of the few early issues of Spawn that was
actually readable and entertaining. Angela and Medieval Spawn added a lot to
the backstory of that series. To thinly recreate the characters in order to
avoid paying Gaiman is a weasel move.