true dat...it's one reason i'm rarely an early adopter of new tech nowadays. I
let the bugs get worked out, the price drop, and the feature set expand before
I buy.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:40:25 PM
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Apple's Clean Hands May Have Dirtied iPhone 4 Signal

Keith, I can't help but think that Apple's line of thinking was "Let's get the
product out there... they'll lap it up so fast that they'll never notice things
like that."

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Keith Johnson < keithbjohn...@comcast.net >
wrote:

The phone shouldn't be that sensitive, 'cause you never know how someone will
hold a device--especially a phone. I'm not quite sure how duct tape fixes the
problem, though. Apple's frustrating at times with what they give us and what
they don't. For my iPod, for example, I stay upset that it doesn't have a built
in antenna for radio reception. The device must have headphones, which function
as the antenna. The problem is, that makes it very sensitive to positioning, so
that I sometimes find myself fiddling with the position of the headphone cord
to strengthen signals for weaker stations. Reminds me of the days when we had
to keep adjusting the "rabbit ears" for the old TVs. Why Apple couldn't have
lined the inside of the iPod with a flat antenna, and then let the headphones
*add* their strength to that, is beyond me. I know there's room inside for
that. I guess it's cost control, but in this one aspect, it was poor design. So
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a design issue with the iPhone 4 antenna,
and not just the simple software glitch they keep putting forth as the cause.