From: "Mr. Worf" <hellomahog...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:36:05 PM
Subject: [scifinoir2] Article: How FX Studios Turn 2D Movies to 3D Moneymakers

It was once believed that 3D filmmaking was something of a dark art, composed
entirely of witchcraft and a lock of James Cameron's hair. These days, however,
we know better — there's a complicated lunar cycle involved too. And a little
something called dimensionalization . In an interview with Studio Daily, visual
effects studio In-Three discussed the powerful technology responsible for
bringing 2D films into the third dimension -- and its more complicated than you
might think.

Features like Avatar are filmed with stereoscopic 3D equipment, but not every
production is so fortunate; many films are recorded in 2D only to be converted
to 3D in post-production. With dimensionalization, In-three takes this "flat"
footage, and breaks down each scene into its core components. This includes the
foreground, background and key objects or actors. With the company's in-house
software, artists arrange the pieces, tweak for depth, and ultimately create
the 3D effect viewed in theaters.

As a result, In-Three's Matthew DeJohn explains that the process turns a
conventional piece of film into an entirely digital work. Where holes are
present, footage is augmented or filled with CGI, the goal being to "fool the
brain into thinking it’s real 3D." While this can present certain challenges
compared to film shot in stereoscopic, it does have its advantages. "Because
dimensionalization is a post process, you get more artistic control compared to
shooting [in stereo]," says DeJohn. "We can go in and make specific choices and
use the available depth budget to its best advantage."

The process is time consuming, however, and involves between 300 and 400
artists for an 120-minute feature -- at close to $100,000 per minute. But now
that films like Alice in Wonderland have pushed the process to the mainstream,
it might not be long before some of our old favorites are given the 3D
treatment too.