http://jam.canoe.ca/Video/DVD_Column/2010/07/19/14757351.html

Brilliant 'Being Human' hits DVD

By BRUCE KIRKLAND, QMI Agency

Blood and sex, fangs and full moons, humour and heartache: What's not to
like about Being Human? This supernatural television series from Britain
looks like a fully formed, high-concept, sure-fire success.

But looks are deceiving. The brilliance of Being Human is both an accident
-- and the result of years of hard slogging.

"I think if we had been approached in the beginning to write a
supernatural show, we would have ended up with something far less
satisfying," affable series creator Toby Whithouse says from London.

Whithouse is on the telephone to Canada because Being Human: Season 1
debuts Tuesday on DVD and Blu-ray. Both are two-disc sets. They share
identical extras, including helpful character profiles and a Whithouse
session reminding us how tenuous success really is -- especially because
the first fanbase was inspired by social media, not conventional ratings.

You wouldn't think so, not today, not in the era of Twilight and True
Blood. Like them, Being Human plumbs the public's obsessive interest in
the intoxicating world of vampires, werewolves and ghosts, combining them
intelligently. Whithouse put a vampire, werewolf and ghost into a Bristol
house as flatmates. They are all twentysomethings (sort of). They are all
likeable and complicated. They are all cursed.

"I flatter us," Whithouse says with a chuckle. "We were, I hope, a bit
ahead of the curve." Being Human did pre-date the Twilight phenomenon and
the True Blood fangdom. So much so that Whithouse assumed they were doomed.

"When we delivered what would ultimately become Being Human to the BBC, at
the time we thought: 'We haven't got a hope in hell! Who on earth wants to
watch anything about vampires?' Then, of course, all the other shows took
off. So I like to think we were there at the spearhead."

Originally, actor-turned-screenwriter Whithouse was approached by a
production company to write a series about all-human housemates: "A show
about a group of college graduates who decide to buy a house together,
with the stresses and strains that puts on their friendships. I thought,
well, it's not really the most scintillating idea that I've ever heard. I
was about to turn it down when, completely unbidden, I had these ideas for
three characters. At this stage they were completely human. Mitchell was a
recovering sex addict, Annie was a kind of borderline agoraphobic and
George was this guy who had anger issues and was kind of anal and
repressed. I wrote pages and pages and pages of biog for these
characters."

The production team was pleased. But they still did not have a
first-episode story. "We spent months pretty much banging our heads
against a brick wall and we couldn't come up with anything." At the final
all-or-nothing meeting, Whithouse jokingly suggested George should be a
werewolf. Eureka! George's anger issues obviously could be linked to the
werewolf curse.

"We had nothing to lose and, from there, it seemed like a very natural
progression that Mitchell the sex addict was a bit like a vampire and
Annie the agoraphobic was a bit like a ghost rooted to a house. Suddenly,
by the end of the meeting, we were doing a show about a werewolf, a
vampire and a ghost. But the bedrock of the show is character."

At first, Whithouse admits, "I was kind of apologizing for the idea
because it is such a ridiculous idea." Yet those characters -- now played
by Aidan Turner (Mitchell), Russell Tovey (George) and Lenora Crichlow
(Annie) -- are based in reality, not in horror movie cliche.

"While I know it is bizarre, given the concept, I've always wanted to do a
show that is as realistic as possible," Whithouse says. They are, after
all, Being Human.

CREATOR AMAZED BY SUCCESS

Being Human creator Toby Whithouse is gobsmacked that his hit series from
Britain is making an impression in North America.
"We were just amazed to get the show on U.K. television in the first
place," Whithouse says from London. "Reaching such a wide audience now is
such an extraordinarily wonderful surprise -- but a surprise nonetheless!
And we are just absolutely thrilled."

Being Human is broadcast on BBC America. Season 1 is being released
Tuesday on DVD and Blu-ray. The series originally launched its overseas
invasion with a rousing debut at Comic-Con 2009 in San Diego.

"The response that we got from the audience over there was just
phenomenal," Whitehouse remembers. "I mean, obviously we're quite British
and anal and repressed. To have this kind of unexpurgated euphoria and
enthusiasm was just an absolute delight!"
I remind Whithouse that Canadians are poised between British reserve and
American excess. Laughing, he says: "I think you are then the perfect
audience. And you're more likely to get all the tea references."

This would have been impossible without British fans who backed Being
Human in its infancy, after the pilot broadcast and before the
BBC-commissioned first season's six episodes. They pressured BBC
executives through Facebook and other social media.
"I will always be eternally grateful to the fans," Whithouse says. "But
there was a slight downside to it because, when the show got commissioned,
a lot of the public felt it was down to them, that they were shareholders."

So, when three of four leading roles were recast from the pilot, some fans
went sour "with howls of despair." Until they adjusted to the bold new
look. "We felt with the series proper that we were starting with a clean
sheet," Whithouse says.

bruce.kirkl...@sunmedia.ca