From: Mr. Worf <hellomahog...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, July 24, 2010 12:39:43 AM
Subject: [scifinoir2] Engineers creating carbon-negative Mars rocket

Engineers creating carbon-negative Mars rocket
By Ben Coxworth
16:44 July 22, 2010

Sathyakumar Sharma with aluminum powder, which is mixed with carbon dioxide to
fuel the rocket
MITS - www.mits.com
Business Intelligence and Advanced Reporting Solutions for SQL and MV

Carbon Fiber Tubes - DragonPlate. com/Carbon- Fiber-Tubes
High performance, high quality engineered tubes. ISO 9001 Cert.

Norlab Specialty Gases - www.norlabonline. com
Your Single Source Gas Supplier Gases, regulators, and accessories

MY M&M'S® Candies - www.MyMMs.com
Personalize Your Wedding, Birthday, Anniversary or Event w/M&M'S® Candy
Ads by Google
It may be called the Red Planet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use green
technology to get there. Engineers at the University of Hertfordshire are
developing a miniature dual fuel rocket, as a test model for technology that
could one day result in a full-scale carbon negative rocket capable of a return
flight to Mars. Their model’s motor will be powered by a mixture of carbon
dioxide and aluminum, turning the CO2 into carbon in the process - this is the
opposite of what is done by traditional rockets.
The U of H’s Eur Ing Ray Wilkinson is leading the project, assisted by MSc
student Sathyakumar Sharma from the University of Salford.
They chose to use aluminum powder in their motor, because it requires very
little energy to ignite, and CO2, because it is available in the Martian
atmosphere. “The idea is that a Mars rocket could save a lot of cost and mass
by
not taking with it the propellants it needs for its return flight,” said
Wilkinson. “One method of doing this is to use an easily available Martian
resource, carbon dioxide, as a propellant, and burn it with aluminum or
magnesium powder.”
The system has already been tested in a lab setting at Indiana's Purdue
University, but Wilkinson hopes to demonstrate the motor in an actual
low-altitude flight later this year. He has previously developed a rocket