 <http://news.discovery.com/contributors/jonathan-strickland/>
Analysis by Jonathan
Strickland <http://news.discovery.com/contributors/jonathan-strickland/>
Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 AM ET
39
Comments<http://news.discovery.com/tech/robots-consciousness-and-rights.html#view-comments>|
Leave
Comment<http://news.discovery.com/tech/robots-consciousness-and-rights.html#post-a-comment>
Print<http://news.discovery.com/tech/robots-consciousness-and-rights.html?print=true>
Email <javascript:%20void(null);>

   -
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http://news.discovery.com/tech/robots-consciousness-and-rights.html>
   -
Twitter<http://wd.sharethis.com/api/sharer.php?destination=twitter&url=http://news.discovery.com/tech/robots-consciousness-and-rights.html&title=Robots,%20Consciousness%20and%20Rights%20:%20Discovery%20News>
   -
Digg<http://digg.com/submit?url=http://news.discovery.com/tech/robots-consciousness-and-rights.html&title=Robots,%20Consciousness%20and%20Rights%20:%20Discovery%20News&bodytext=Recently,%20I%27ve%20been%20researching%20artificial%20intelligence%20and%20consciousness%20for%20HowStuffWorks.com.%20While%20exploring%20the%20possibilities%20of%20machines%20with%20&topic=television>
   - Yahoo!
Buzz<http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?publisherurn=discovery_cha79&targetUrl=http://news.discovery.com/tech/robots-consciousness-and-rights.html&submitHeadline=Robots,%20Consciousness%20and%20Rights%20:%20Discovery%20News>

   [image:
Deep-blue-1]<http://blogs.discovery.com/.a/6a00d8341bf67c53ef01310fc9c22e970c-pi>Recently,
I've been researching artificial intelligence and consciousness
for HowStuffWorks.com <http://www.howstuffworks.com/>. While exploring the
possibilities of machines with self-awareness, I'm drawn to the debate about
whether an artificially intelligent construct has the same rights as a
biological entity. In other words, if we built a robot or computer that
could seemingly think on its own and was aware of its own existence, should
we give it the same rights and privileges we have as humans?

The question itself may be moot. Our own understanding of the human brain is
still limited. While some scientists and doctors are working on building a
computer simulation of the brain, they're doing so without knowing all the
details of how the brain works. It's like finding a mysterious machine and
then reconstructing it without actually understanding what makes it tick. It
may be impossible for us to create a machine capable of real thought and
self-awareness.

To make the debate even more complicated, there's no way to know if machine
consciousness would resemble human consciousness. When it comes to the
conscious mind, we have a very small sample size from which we can
extrapolate. While a machine brain would be the product of human ingenuity
(or possibly the product of another machine that was itself the product of
human ingenuity), it's impossible to know right now if a conscious, thinking
machine would have an intelligence comparable to ours. Would it experience
emotion (simulated or otherwise)? Would it come to the conclusion that
people are at best a messy threat that should be eliminated? Or would it
just process the tasks we give it and never think beyond those parameters?

There are dozens of science fiction stories that deal with machine
consciousness and the ethical dilemmas that follow. There are doomsday tales
that suggest machines will rise up against biological entities. There's
Kurzweil's theory of the
singularity<http://www.howstuffworks.com/technological-singularity.htm>,
one version of which sees humans and machines merging together to create a
new species beyond our imaginations. And there's the movie A.I., in which
the audience feels empathy for a synthetic creature that possesses an
intelligence and awareness that it doesn't understand. Are any of these
futures likely?

I once participated in an alternate reality game (ARG) in which the players
were given the task of voting to bestow or deny basic rights to thinking
machines. My philosophy is that creating a machine that can think isn't a
great idea. It makes sense to build machines that are good at what they do
but I don't see the need to design thinking versions. I certainly don't need
my toaster outsmarting me on a daily basis. I voted against giving machines
rights, though at that point it's really too late.

What are the right questions to ask about artificial consciousness? And do
you think we'll ever reach a point where we can create a truly conscious
machine? We've seen Deep Blue defeat chess master
Kasparov<http://www.research.ibm.com/deepblue/>.
We've also seen a computer at
Cornell<http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/April09/NaturalLaws.ws.html>extrapolate
the basic laws of physics by observing a swinging pendulum. How
far are we from hearing a computer telling us what's on its mind?

*Image from AP Photo/Adam Nadel*