From: "Martin Baxter" <martinbaxt...@gmail.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:53:55 PM
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Insert Personality: Robot Head + Human Consciousness
=

Someone out there... please tell me to put down the Beretta I'm pointing at my
screen right now.

Mind you, I fully expect that such will happen, far sooner than we think (some
rich, dying billionaire out there, wanting to cheat the Grim Reaper). That
could be trouble all its own. A consciousness, able to interact with the
Internet directly? To quote Bill Paxton from "Aliens" -- "Game over, man." Any
bad press? Gone. Any corporate takeover? Done so fast it would take days to
sort it all out. If the guy likes porn? YouTube starts churning it out, whether
it likes to or not.

Anyone who'd like to use those ideas, feel free. Just let me know when they hit
print, because I want to read them.

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Mr. Worf < hellomahog...@gmail.com > wrote:

Insert Personality: Robot Head + Human Consciousness =

The quest for artificial intelligence has led mankind to some pretty strange
places, but the Terasem Movement has just taken it to a decidedly creepy new
level. The non-profit agency is dedicated to educating the public about the
necessity of extending life through cyber-consciousness. In other words, they
believe that the human essence can be extended beyond life with the use of
robots.

They created this vaguely creepy robot called Bina48. The bot is the first
privately-funded artificial intelligence robot of its type, and it’s modeled on
a real woman named Bina Rothblatt. The real Bina spent many hours loading
information into the head of Bina48, giving “her” a personality and the ability
to converse with visitors. The above video documents Bina48′s interview with a
New York Times reporter; it’s apparent that the technology can use a little
refinement before we can trust it to store our consciousness after we die. But
if its heartbreaking desires to have its own life, work in the garden and take
over the world are any indication, we’d better start welcoming our new
artificially intelligent overlords now. Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvcQCJpZJH8&feature=player_embedded# !