It gets deep in a hurry. Some of the novels, especially the ones by Dan Abnett,
are a good entry point for getting a feel of the Imperium of Man and the rest
of that universe.

People tend to gravitate toward the Space Marines but I always took a shine to
the Imperial Guard. They are normal humans fighting nightmares and holding the
line until the Space Marines and the other heavyweight forces show up. The
Gaunt's Ghosts novels feature them and are great fun.