-----Original Message-----
From: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 8:20 PM
To: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Re: Lion's Blood again (what should barnes
do?)

On Jun 26, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Carole McDonnell wrote:

> --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > But I don't think we'd have the "United States" as we know them
>  now.
>  > We'd have a literal confederacy...twenty or thirty states that are
>  more
>  > or less countries unto themselves.  Meaning that strong federal
>  > countries (countries with a centralized national government) would
>  be
>  > able to trump them either in raw manpower or in bureaucracy.  If
>  > England decided to go to war for example, they'd only need to go
>  > through the Parliament.  If this new "US" wanted to go to war,
>  they'd
>  > have to go to EACH STATE SEPARATELY to get their approval.  And
>  even
>  > THEN some states might not want to cough up the loot needed to deal
>  > with the threat.
>

>  The southern states might be a confederacy but wouldn't the northern
>  states still be the "united states" The northern states wanted
>  the "union" didn't they?

They did, but in the process of passing the Corwin Amendment, they'd
really end up hijacking the union--becoming more of a confederacy in
order to keep the south from leaving--in order to save it.

>  >
>  > Now SA didn't exist during this time period.
>
>  True. But if all else remained the same, Europe would still be
>  sending folks to Africa and to Australia. And some countries such as
>  SA would probably exist. Or maybe not. Who knows if the US's slavery
>  position helped make those imperialist European-oppressed African
>  countries more -- or LESS-- prone to racist imperialism. Maybe US
>  slavery encouraged the Afrikaans, etc. But maybe the Civil Rights
>  movement a century later also helped the europeans leave Africa.
>
>  Who knows?  But i do like the idea of the US being more multicultural
>  and having more multicultural power with a culture more influenced by
>  Native Americans, Africans, and "good" Europeans. Yep, am a wuss. The
>  last holdout of the rainbow coalition.

I do too...but I am not sure when the particular multicultural reality
that we are envisioning truly takes hold to build a nation.

lks

Dr. Lester K. Spence
Assistant Professor, Political Science and African Afro-American Studies
Washington University
Kellogg Scholar in Health Disparities 2004-2006

Community email addresses:
Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe Digest Mode: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
Yahoo! Groups Links

 would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer
in the arts today at Network for Good</a>.</font>