(I found this one of those novels that sounded a lot better than it
read--indeed when I would recap the plot in my head or think about
certain scenes it sounded great but when I read it there was no pop.

Fantasy and SF authors often lay down all their bets on the setting--
they create the scenery but forget to animate the characters running
around it--while they pull out the stops innovating on their setting
they fall back on the familiar with the characters.

It is not easy to do

--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Carole McDonnell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Over the years, it's hard to not notice the similarities between
> science fiction, fantasy, and the writing of history. Science
> fiction, of course, is well-known for its many detailed future
> histories. Indeed, for many readers the details of the history of
the
> world the writer is portraying is one of the most fascinating
aspects
> of the story. Fantasy too, from Tolkien to Steven Erikson to J.K.
> Rowling has more than its share of works that are based on an
> incredibly detailed imaginary history that serves to make the world
> the characters live in come alive in much the same way that a good
> history writer can bring to life the worlds of ancient Greece,
China,