I don't think it is one of her best (I nominate the "Parable" duology).

***I agree***

but I was more disturbed by her coming back to her white(blonde?) husband
bruised and abused from her time as a slave and how it NEVER colored her
relationship or made her question the "master/slave" dynamic of it, even as her
neighbors began to suspect her kind and caring (aren't all of Butler's lily
white heroes "kind and caring"?) or spousal abuse

(I don't like the book because of this theme--

I chalk much of Butler's worldview up to her living in California and suffering
at the hands of other blacks who failed to comprehend her talent--but then
again, she was born among people to whom a life of intellectual pursuits was
but dimly imagined.  Also I suppose she felt that the whites that promoted her
career saved her and she felt a gratitude...)