(Yes, I believe that was the plot of The Andromeda Strain.  Could be, again,
though I wonder if something that can live or lay dormat in the cold vaccuum of
space would suddenly awake and start conquering the world--always conquering
the world.  Suppose it came back and provided a cure for cancer or a source of
infinite energy?

I think its worth taking a chance--

On the other hand, I think that humans in space is a waste and exploration
could be done by robots--but mostly for economic reasons.