Dear contributors and users

You may know that I am not very fond of Codes of Conduct in general.  I
think they are well intentioned, but they are also often aggressive, use
words more commonly associated with law enforcement, and may leave one
feeling a tad scared and unenthusiastic.

At the same time, I do think it is important to be inviting to newcomers
of all groups, and to make that clear on our website.

What would you say to a "Community Guidelines" or "How We Work
(together)" statement on the scikit-image front page?

Something along the lines of:

"We welcome each and every contributor to scikit-image.  Our aim is
enthusiastic and productive collaboration, to build an excellent
software library, and to have a ton of fun doing it.  We encourage one
another to be gentle in criticism of others' work, humble in
acknowledging our own mistakes, and generous in our praise.

If you ever feel like you are not being treated as well as you should,
please get in touch with one of the project leads.  We are committed to
making this community a safe and welcome space."

Best regards
Stéfan