On 08/28/2016 12:29 PM, Raphael C wrote:
To give a little context from the web, see e.g. http://www.quuxlabs.com/blog/2010/09/matrix-factorization-a-simple-tutorial-and-implementation-in-python/ where it explains:

"
A question might have come to your mind by now: if we find two matrices \mathbf{P} and \mathbf{Q} such that \mathbf{P} \times \mathbf{Q} approximates \mathbf{R}, isn’t that our predictions of all the unseen ratings will all be zeros? In fact, we are not really trying to come up with \mathbf{P} and \mathbf{Q} such that we can reproduce \mathbf{R} exactly. Instead, we will only try to minimise the errors of the observed user-item pairs.
"
Yes, the sklearn interface is not meant for matrix completion but matrix-factorization. There was a PR for some matrix completion for missing value imputation at some point.

In general, scikit-learn doesn't really implement anything for recommendation algorithms as that requires a different interface.