Kein-Hong Man:

I searched for "72" in a CVS copy, and for SciTE we have:
SciTEBase.cxx
SciTERes.rc

apart from the docs...

If we put the versions in SciTE.h, the Lua extension can get the version number from there and create a string constant in "scite".

Now look at the different formats of that version number in the two files:

PRODUCTVERSION  1, 7, 2, 0
VALUE   "FileVersion",        "1.72\0"
AddStyledText(wsci, " 1.72\n", 1);

I don't know if the version of the preprocessor available with resource compilers is capable of stringizing or arithmetic but if someone else wants to try it...

Can't help with the docs, though, that will need a Python or Perl script...

When I last investigated this it looked like it needed scripting to handle the variety of cases. The version.txt file in the scintilla root directory is a remnant of that investigation.

   Neil