b3n wrote:
Even in Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types I have HTM and HTML files
set to open with Firefox but they show the .txt icon in the "Registered file
types" list - even though the Firefox icon is shown in the Details section.

All .htm and .html files are displayed with the .txt icon in Windows
Explorer.

If I right-click an html file and select Edit, it opens in Scite but is
blank. If I open the same file in Notepad then I see it's contents.

If I double-click an HTML file then Firefox opens but it does not find the
file because it always has the following in the address bar:

file:///C:/Program

The same thing happens within Cute FTP Pro - if I right-click an HTML file
and choose View.  But if I choose Edit, the file opens correctly in SciTE!

Should the Data part of my registry keys include the double-quotes and
double-slashes?

You guessed it, it is typical of lack of double quotes (no needs for "double-slashes", whatever they are - you think probably of backslashes).

Notepad accepts only one parameter on the command line, so he happily works with
  notepad.exe %1
but SciTE needs quotes:
  SciTE.exe "%1"
and same for Firefox, probably.

Note: I have the same problem with the icon at work: I cannot make it be the FF's icon (or any other). If somebody else has a solution...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France