Hans Joseph Solbrig:

Thank you for the pointer. I merged submenu code into
the current Scite I have fairly easily.
I can certain see some objectionable aspects to the
code:
a) It used windows specific code in the base scite
files. b) It implements the changes as long loops rather than functionally decomposing the code.
If I were to implement the code using subfunctions and
putting the windows-specific parts in Scitewin and
Scitewinbar, would you consider merging it into the
current scite distribution?

IIRC there were worse problems when I looked at the implementation: there was some strange protection from recursion code that did not make much sense and adding a cascading menu item could remove a later menu item.

You should first consider exactly what the cascading menu is (Does it add to the Tools menu or replace an existing item? Where is it positioned?) and how different commands are to cooperate to appear on a particular cascading menu. You have to understand the difference between the different platform menu implementations. On Windows, new items can be inserted but not on GTK+ where they are replaced and can be shown or hidden.

   Neil