Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:45:28 -0500
From: Gene Spafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Question

I would do it similar to the lpr daemon.

Have a daemon start up and create a "well-known"  Unix-domain socket to
listen on.  Clients connect to the socket and get a clone of it through
which they communicate with the resource manager.

If a client exits, the manager can detect that the other side of the socket
is closed, and it can close its side.

It provides a consistent interface, and is not accessible outside the
machine (and shouldn't be).  Plus, if the socket is created with restricted
access rights, only authorized processes will be able to connect.

--spaf