On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Dennis Wier wrote:

> Killer application of the (near) future would be
> when ADSL is really launched and people start downloading
> video.  Like single sign-on, they will be tired of
> punching in their credit card, so smartcard will
> be the choice.  But, the readers would likely have to
> be both swipe plus smartcard, plus probably pin
> so that legacy credit cards could be used.  There is
> ecash and ecommerce where every click on every
> icon gets to nibble on your bank account too.
> This is (fortunately) not yet, but it could
> 'drive' development of smart cards.
>
> That's just one possibility.  But this depends on
> credit card companies issuing smart cards.  But they
> are sitting on some billion magnetic stripe cards
> so there is no reason to change, yet.  Credit card
> companies have developed (their) applications using the
> smart card.  The problem is standards.

In France, we already use smartcards for banking, since about 10 years...
And since a few months, we've got at least 2 systems for electronic
commerce, using smartcards. One is only valid for French customers and
French merchants, the other is SET compliant, but can use the French
smartcard to authenticate.

--
Erwann ABALEA
System and Development Engineer - Certplus SA