Hello,

Well I'm headed out to California for one month to get this stuff ported
over to Mac OS for Apple.  I will be working full time on pcsc-lite for one
month.
(Don't worry, it will still be open source/free)

I think the strange problems on Redhat might be due to a needed
compiler/libs upgrade.  Once out there I'm going to get Redhat 6.1 and
compare the compiler/libs with Mandrake 6.1 and see if I can't upgrade the
Redhat box and see if that make everything work fine.  I know for a while
there was a nasty memory issue with libdl about a year ago, I don't know if
Redhat has added that patch in their distribution or not but I will find
out.

I will probably release a new smarttools package that works 100% on digital
signatures, it supports remote PAM authentication using the RPC mechanism
built into pcsc-lite, and a GUI file encryption/decryption utility for KDE.
The remote PAM authentication is more a proof of concept that you can call
back on the resource manager to perform remote authentication. Security
wise, you will have to assure that your card has proper security, ie:
channel management, pin, keys.

I will be releasing a paper later this month about some smartcard hacks
that should be avoided when developing a smartcard infrastructure in a
London security journal.

By the end of the month pcsc-lite will be Beta/Final.

Regards,
Dave

David Corcoran                                  Purdue University
1008 Cherry Lane
West Lafayette, IN 47906
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
765 - 427 - 5147                                http://www.linuxnet.com