Hello,

Just thought I might give an update on what I'm doing.  Currently, the
pcsc stack exists on Mac OS X.  I write a reader driver for a USB
smartcard reader which works fine.  The resource manager accepts hot
pluggable devices so if you insert a USB reader in then PC/SC knows of it
immediately.  Drivers are even easier.  The driver is still the same IFD
Handler 2.0 style but I will provide a new Makefile that will turn the
shared object into a bundle which contains more information than just the
library.  If the driver does not exist you can just drag and drop the
driver from the web site to your PC/SC drop directory and PC/SC Lite will
know immediately of the new driver and configure itself.  The readername
and everything is automatic.  The /etc/reader.conf can not exist if you
want or it can.  Once USB support under Linux is stable (2.2.4 kernels ?)
then I will do similarly there.  PC/SC Lite will be distributed with the
multi Makefile like before but now to install you will type:

make linux
make osx
make solaris
.. etc

I will probably try to use the bundle approach on Linux eventually also.
Ideally a manufacturer can create 1 bundle which contains driver for each
of their supported platforms.

I should have a Mac OS X developers kit out sometime also.
Let me know what you think....

Regards,
Dave

David Corcoran                 Internet Security/Smartcards

Home:                          Purdue University
1008 Cherry Lane               Department of Computer Science
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Home: (765) 463-0096
Cell: (765) 427-5147

http://www.linuxnet.com