On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Peter Lister wrote:

> It seems that Dallas Semiconductor ahve recognised the existence of
> Linux; at any rate www.ibutton.com now has a kit which works on Linux
> out of the packet, and will find iButton devices.
>
> Has anyone had a recent look at MUSCLEing iButtons?

Your post is timely.  I am VERY interested in the MUSCLE work as it
pertains to Linux and the iButton... my interest is actually in getting
some PAM drivers going so I can use the iButton as an alternative to
user/password.

I've had some moderate success in getting iB-IDE working under Linux; I'm
able to load apps to the iButton and get them to respond.  However, I'm
new to smart cards and the array of APIs has been bewildering.  I think
I'm finally starting to sort it all out, but I'll take this opportunity to
ask two questions:

(1)  What's the state of the MUSCLE PAM drivers?  I've been poking around
for smart card PAM drivers under Linux and the MUSCLE ones seem to be
about the only alternative, but it's not clear to me whether they're being
actively maintained, etc.

(2)  The iButton development environment revolves around Java (not
surprising), so JavaCard/OpenCard etc.  But I'm assuming that the PAM
drivers will be C/C++.  Can I assume that "a smart card is just a smart
card" and the iButton would respond to APDUs from C/C++ code (PAM .so's)
on the PC side?

You can see that my questions aren't even very well formed yet.  :-)  But
hopefully we'll get a conversation going here, or someone can point me to
something I can read that will get me farther along.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> KC0JMP