On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 8:03 AM, anatoly techtonik <techto...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For a long time I thought that QMTest is bundled with SCons. Now I see
> that it is some external framework, which downloads are no longer
> available. So, the questions are:
>
> 1. What the code in QMTest directory is for?
> 2. Are there pieces from GPL'ed QMTest framework?
> 3. What things are we still missing from it?
> http://www.scons.org/wiki/SConsTestingRevisions
>
> And what is this AegisBatchStream and "test result stream" in general?
>
> Aegis was used originally by Stephen for packaging I believe.  It hasn't
been used in many years.  It should be flushed; see
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.scons.devel/10707for
instance.

QMTest was thought to be a good test framework for Python programs; we got
pretty deeply into it for a while, but eventually discovered we had
"extended" it so far we weren't really using QMTest itself hardly at all.
 The tests *might* still run under QMTest but I don't think anyone cares
anymore.

And btw, I just added -jN to runtest.py, so per the above wiki page, we can
now run the tests in parallel (with no QMTest).  With -j10 on my average
dual-core laptop, the tests take about 15 minutes now, and the test results
seem OK.  And we also have test timing and time reporting now, as well as
out-of-core tool testing and test fixtures.  So at this point I think
there's no further reason to consider QMTest.  I'll mark that wiki page as
pretty much all complete now.

--
Gary