On 13.07.2013 16:53, Russel Winder wrote:
On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 09:17 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:
[…]
In my view, bootstrap.py is more for creating the build packages. It can
also copy together a local working copy (the "bootstrap" folder), which
is fine for most cases when you simply want to start SCons without fully
installing it.
[…]

I think we perhaps need to clarify the role of bootstrap.py then as I
have always known it as the entry into using the current HEAD as SCons
(which is what H S Teoh is doing as well). Using boostrap.py leads to
having all the pyc files not in the checked out repository which is a
Good Thing™.

This seems to work well for you, so stick to it.

Trying to use a shell script instead leads to pyc files
being in the checked out source tree, not good at all.

This appears to work well for me (it has other advantages), so I'll stick to it. ;)

The role of bootstrap.py is probably defined quite well, so I don't see a need to discuss it at the moment. All I wanted to offer is the simple scripts that I use to start SCons directly, such that we could replace the misleading instructions in the REAME.rst by a pointer to the files.
Fixing the text, as Rob suggested, would be another option of course.

Regards,

Dirk