On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Timothy Jaques wrote:

> To think that people in the UK actually PAY for the privilege of having a
> TV.  It astounds me that a hundred pounds could be so spent when there is so
> much good beer and whisky to be had over there.:)

        They get shafted on per-minute Internet access as well. Has anyone
found a way around that yet? Are there any good free services that
circumvent the phone companies?

> Television is so hard to escape.  It seems like every club or pub has at
> least one blaring, usually a massive theatre style unit.  Quite often it is
> kept on even once the band comes on stage, assuming that one is lucky
enough
> to find a place that still books live music.

        Alot of pubs won't have live music, I guess they figure why bother
when you've Seinfeld. :-)

> Now, if there was only something I could do to stop this spread of fast food
> chains -- I understand that even the French are eating at them now . . .

        It's too late. The best we can hope for are more good fast food
chains as opposed to bad ones. Tim Horton's beats most of what we have
here.