In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I asked on irtrad-l about what my notes said was Irish, and it  turns
> out  to  have  originated  (as  far  as anyone there knew) with Jimmy
> Shand.  So I thought I'd ask the experts over here ...

The issue came up on the Strathspey list just the other day, and we
found out that the Bluebell Polka can't be by Jimmy Shand because it
is in Kerr's Collection which came out in 1875. (Jack Campin also
points this out in his modes tutorial.) The actual composer was a chap
called »F. Stanley«. Don't know whether he was Irish or Scots or
something else again.

Trivia department: If you look at the Strathspey Archive at

  http://www.tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/strathspey/

you can also find a (more recent) set of lyrics.

Anselm