Today's snippet of totally useless information: thread count for a tenth
century silk-strung 4-course ud, tuned in fourths:

   bamm     64
   mathlath 48
   mathna   36
   zir      27

(if you had a fifth course it was above zir).

I'd have expected it to go up in a sequence of squares, which this isn't
quite.

This is sandwiched in my notebook between a table of the Nether Lorn
canntaireachd and a reference to the Edinburgh Evening Courant saying
that Teviot Brig was tendered for in 1765 (which gives you some idea
of the date for the tune).