>Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:31:52 -0700
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [scots-l] Local Sessions.
>
>One point of clarification (without getting mired in this mess):
>>> Oh yes.....the "Civil War" is actually referred to as "The War of
>> Northern Aggression" down here as we were not only attacked! But
weren't
>> allowed to "legally" succeed from the Union!.
>
>The word is "secede."  I will restrain myself from further commentary on
the rest >of this.

>Elizabeth Rider

Your correct.....
My apologies for the heat of the moment.
BTW, we didn't "succeed" either.  :-)

>> The word is "secede."  I will restrain myself from further commentary
on
>the rest of this.
>Not in the South. HAve you ever heard of Southbonics? It was the
precurser
>of Ebonics. Basically there is no correct way to spell any word, and
writing
>was only started in the general masses in the past 15 years or so.  If
it
>sounds right.....

Atleast we use more than four letters & have more than 8 words in our
vocab.
Incorrect spelling most likely stems from immigration and the mix of
cultures and languages.  The huge influx of Scottish culture to the
Carolinas created havoc I'm sure!    Lack of modern day education is the
current excuse in most parts of the country now it seems.  Pronunciations
and spellings of the Scots gaelic still evade  me.

>Just kidding!

O.K....we can be nice now.