Keith Dunn wrote:

>Unless I'm wrong.......bluegrass music is heavily influenced by Scottish
music.
> Mostly out of the Appalachian  Mtns.  I know there are a lot of Scottish
Sir names >among the folks living in the Blue Ridge Mtns. ( which is the most
southerly range >of the Appalachians.)

The Scottish surnames came from Ulster Scots who began settling in the area
before the American Revolution.  Two examples of  the  many Scottish tunes
that traveled to the US are "Campbell's Farewell to Redcastle" and "Lord
MacDonald's Reel" ("Leather Britches" and they had their names altered over
here.

A lot of people think that the roots of Appalachian and old-time music lay in
Ireland; that's OK if they consider the Scots' descendants in Northern
Ireland to be "Irish", which from what I've observed, they don't, I wish I
could make it to the fiddle tent in Stone Mountain but I'm up here in NYC
where appreciation of Scottish fiddling is just about nil, compared to Irish
fiddling.

Teanga