My recording of James Oswald's 'Twelve Divertimentis for the Guittar' has
just been released. They were published in 1750 for the 18th-century
wire-strung 'guittar'. The disc details are ASV Gaudeamus GAU 221. My
website (http://www.robmackillop.com) has details of world-wide
distributors, but you can buy signed copies from me at the incredibly low
price of £10 plus £1pp within the UK, £2pp in the European Union and £3pp
the rest of the world. Send cheques to Rob MacKillop, 37 Albert Street,
Tayport Fife DD6 9AT, Scotland.

Oswald was born into a poor family in Crail, Fife on the west coast of
Scotland. He rose to become a Jacobite spy in the court of George III as
well as one of Robert Burns's chief musical muses. I think he wrote the best
guittar music of all the composers in or out of Scotland. He really
understood how to exploit the unique sound of the instrument, and I am very
happy that Peter Haigh of Pier House Studios in Granton, Edinburgh and I
managed to get a recorded sound to justify the music.

This is a historic recording in two ways: 1) it is the first recording of
the entire set of 12 divertimenti, and 2) it is the first recording solely
dedicated to the 18th-century wire-strung guittar. I also think it is the
best recording I have made so far.

I have abandoned indefinitely the idea of writing a book on the guitar in
Scotland, but have uploaded loads of stuff on it at my website, including
all the 12 Divertimentis and Robert Bremner's tutor for the guittar. More
people have visited my site in the last four months than would buy the book
in a decade, including (I was interested to learn) the US Military - over 5
per cent of hits (quite a high percentage, methinks). They are welcome and
so are you...

If anyone can forward this posting to guitar newsgroups and any other
potentially interested parties, please do - I am very grateful.
Cheers,
Rob
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.robmackillop.com