[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Non-tempered scales are common in a lot of kinds of music, >>

I remember studying accompanying (piano) at college when I was working on my
degree is *classical* music. I was working with a violinist, and she
complained about the piano. "I hate playing with tempered instruments, I have
to make my flats sound sharp and my sharps sound flat," she said. So it's not
just folk music...

By the way, I was told by my piano tuner that it is common to sharpen the
treble on a piano to make it sound brighter. He suggested this as a possible
reason why I have trouble when I tune my harp by ear...I always pull the
treble a bit sharp.

--Cynthia Cathcart