Jack Campin wrote:

> I have a pencil copy somewhere of a broadside from 1789 which is a rhymed
> catalogue of Edinburgh prostitutes who would be available at that year's
> Kelso Races

As usual, the local lasses just aren't up to it...

But I wonder if they grabbed their Edinburgh rivals in the privy and cut
their hair off, they way they do today? There is nothing Kelso girls
like less than a pretty face, unless it's long blond hair. The town is
notorious for any girl who looks half decent getting waylaid and scarred
for life by members of the plug ugly majority! Two court cases pending.

The only town with a worse reputation for this is Hawick, where it's
still not entirely safe to hit the town as a single teenage boy. The
local girls hunt in packs and the lads go for safety in numbers. As for
going there if you are from ANOTHER town... it gets safer once you're
past 65, apparently.

David