Philip Whittaker wrote:

> I think you are hard on teachers - those who are the stalwarts of what
> traditional music scene there is. I do not think it is so much unease at
> meeting ex pupils - or current pupils drinking under age.  I think the
> session/club problem is more one of venue.

I don't blame them - not because you, or Ian etc are wary of the pub,
but because the pub is actually a lousy place for music in most ways.
Remember the Bar-L when it was still the Sportie? Same problem.
Traditional music thrives on introducing kids to join sessions and
learn, on accepting beginners and watching them progress, etc - hard
drinking pubs like the Red Lion, or 'dive' joints like the Sportie are
not the right places for this. They are fine for eejits like me and Jim
bashing out a few Eagles songs, but so far I have not (for example)
attempted to play Tweedside on 18th c guittar for the benefit of the bar!

The ex-pupils you meet are likely to be the ones who have done time,
carry concealed weapons and are out of their heads and being forcibly
ejected by the barman. I think the 'current pupils' problem has been
tackled by the Red and and it no longer has quite the under-age client
problem it used to.

The problem is that with the exception of the Waggon until the new
management - 'ah've heard a' the snide wee comments you are yer wee
cronies mak aboot us, ye think yer a' better than us' (to quote the
owner when he persuaded us to leave) - there isn't a pub in Kelso which
is 'right' for sessions AND a fit place for 'family' participation.
Which is why the Box and Fiddle club hires a hotel function room, the
Music Makers club uses a community centre room, etc.

The Waggon was actually a great venue, just a pity it was taken over.
The new owner did not hire Bob Liddle back to play accordion and sing
(no more popular or useful to him than we were); indeed Bob, who turns
out to be a fine guitarist and aspiring bodhran basher as well, came to
three of our Red Lion sessions when he had a quiet spell between gigs.

We may yet rise and be a folk club again - the funding from what we are
doing for the Season of Sessions is going into the new Kelso Folk Club
bank account - I'm treasurer, Jim Johnstone is chair and Pete Gillespie
is secretary. We intend to book and pay for some above-the-line artists
- but the Red Lion will not be the venue, it could never be controlled
by ticket admission.

David