----- Original Message -----
From: Jack Campin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 2:24 AM
Subject: Re: [scots-l] Stock and horn

> I heard Robin Huw Bowen and a couple of pals playing these at the
> Edinburgh Harp Festival a while ago.  So somebody in Wales makes
> them (I think Robin told a story about getting his made, the maker
> was remarkably eccentric).  They sounded more like the Turkish mey
> than a bombarde, i.e. a bit softer and more clarinet-like.  The
> Welsh word is "pibgorn".

I think John Tose is making pibgorn, apart from new "Welsh" bagpipes.

Anyway, that instrument would be part of the same family - hornpipes - but
not a proper stock-and-horn.

Another alternative is to buy a "alboka" whis is the Basque one, having two
melody-pipes and played, like most hornpipes, with circular breathing.

The "Turkish" sound it's caused by the kind of reed used, a single-reed. The
stock-and-horn I guess would sound different, a bit louder having a double
reed but not so much, having a cylindrical bore of relative lenght.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear of someone making these old
instruments again.

Manuel Waldesco