> I was interested in something Royce Lerwick posted to another mailing
> list, and wondered if any of the pipers (or piping enthusiasts, Jack)
> had any comments?
>    Some thirty years ago I started playing Irish and Irish style tunes
>    on GHB. What the Scottish establishment said at that time was...
>    "Who wants to hear that Irish rubbish?"
>
>    Today, about 90% of the Highland pipe band repertoire is either
>    adaptations of Irish traditional tunes or new tunes written in the
>    same style with the same Irish embellishments...

If he were talking about Scotland, he'd be out to lunch.

He lives somewhere in the Midwest boonies and that may well be what they
play there.  Yet another reason to stay well clear, as if the prospect of
having Royce as a neighbour wasn't enough...

You don't get much Irish music in top-level piping competitions, whether
it's Scottish or foreign bands playing.

On the Internet, it may look different.  Terry Tully (Irish-style
composer of screeds of tedious and unidiomatic tunes for the GHB)
is *huge* on the Internet, despite being a rather small footnote on
the piping scene in the real world.

Royce has a tunebook out which is available in Scotland.  I only gave
it a brief glance assuming you'd have to drink Coors and drive a 4x4
SUV with built-in gun rack to appreciate it.