   [87] From: [88] derrymacash
   Date: 13-Jun-01 - 04:29 AM

   Came across a jig - played by a bunch of Cape Breton musicians -
   called the Tea Gardens.

   Can't find abc or sheet music for it anywhere on the Web.

   Anybody got any ideas as to where it can be tracked down?

   It's a relative of the tune to "The Humour Is On Me Now", but a more
   elaborate relative!

   Many thanks in advance.

   Subject: RE: Tune Req: The Tea Gardens
   [93] From: [94] derrymacash
   Date: 14-Jun-01 - 04:06 AM

   Refresh.

   Apparently the tune is associated with Angus Chisholm about whom,
   sadly, I know nothing. Does this further info jog anyone's memory?

   Thanks again in advance.

   [105] From: [106] George Seto - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Date: 14-Jun-01 - 06:01 AM
   Shop: [107] Going Home

   I can probably tell you a number of the CB players who play this tune.
   You are correct that it is an Angus Chisholm composition. Here is what
   Kate Dunlay said a couple of years back.

   >From the back of the 1978 Shanachie recording, "the early recordings
   of
   Angus Chisholm: Legendary performances of traditional Scottish
   Fiddling":

   "SIDE B: (5) TEA GARDENS/MRS. McGEE--...'Tea Gardens' was composed by
   Angus as he was waiting for a bus in front of a Chinese place by that
   name in Sydney; he wrote down enough of it on the bus going home so
   that he could remember and sort it out later. It is the only one of
   Angus' compositions which he himself recorded."

   Oh. The Chinese place was in Sydney, Cape BReton, Nova Scotia. Corner
   of Charlotte Street, and Pitt Street. The name of the restaurant,
   until the mid sixties, was the Tea Garden Restaurant. It changed then
   to the name it still holds - The Maple Leaf Restaurant. At the time,
   my father was one of the owners. Current owner is my uncle, Johnny.
   Stop in and say hello if you're ever in town.

   I live about 300 miles away in Halifax these days.

   [118] From: [119] derrymacash
   Date: 14-Jun-01 - 07:28 AM

   Wow ...

   You see for someone living in London, UK ... originally from
   Derrymacash, County Armagh, Ireland ... this level of local detail is
   amazing. I am particularly interested in the link that musicians
   establish between their music and their sense of place. I am very
   conscious that when I compose tunes, there is often for me some link
   with a particular place from my past that drives the composition and
   is reflected in the tune's name. (Some of my compositions have names
   such as "Derryadd Bay", "The Wee Lough", "Kitty Smith's Corner",
   "Ballinary Turn", "The Rich View", "The Head of the Plain",
   "Distillery Hill", etc., all of which are very local to where I was
   born and raised.

   Anyway ... enough of my rambling. Thanks for your info and your
   efforts to assist!

   [124] From: [125] George Seto - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Date: 14-Jun-01 - 11:08 AM

   If you need information on joining Scots-L or CB-Music Mailing lists,
   please e-mail (see above).

   Other tunes of the sort, look up Scott MacMillan. He has a web-site,
   but I don't know if I have a link to him handy or not. He's written a
   lot of fiddle tunes that are on 3 CD's, the Minnie Sessions, Vol 1
   through 3. He's not a CB Fiddler, doesn't even PLAY fiddle. However
   he's a true musician. He is also a composer of note. Also, the tune
   might be found through Paul Cranford, musician-lighthouse keeper. He's
   published several books of Fiddle Tunes. Kate DUnlay and David
   Greenburg might have also, in the Dungreen Collection. Here are some
   web-sites to check into

                        [126] Cranford Publications
                      [127] Scott MacMillan - Composer
                      [128] Scott MacMillan - Web Page
                 [129] TideMark Canada - Music Distributors
                     [130] DunGreen collection Web-site

   [167] From: [168] derrymacash
   Date: 19-Jun-01 - 10:49 AM

   I'm giving this a refresh in a last ditch effort to try to flush out
   someone who has the tune available in electronic form.

   I tried transcribing it last night and could not get my head around it
   at all. First off, I couldn't get get my mandolin to sound in tune
   with the tape of the tune which I have ... could just be that my
   machine was running slightly faster or slower than the machine on
   which it was taped?

   And then just couldn't figure out what was happening in the fourth and
   fifth bars. And had to give up ... (principally cos my missus was
   going nuts after hearing me repeat three bars over and over again,
   then attempting countless variations of the next two. Divorces have
   been sought on much weaker ground!)

   Which makes me wonder. Does the fact that there is so much material
   available to us in abc and other formats mean that we can no longer
   play by ear as well as previously? I know that this holds true for me
   ... I didn't have the world's best ear. But it was my primary means of
   learning tunes. Now, I'm afraid the availability of abcs means that I
   rarely learn tunes in this way!

   [179] From: [180] derrymacash
   Date: 08-Jan-02 - 11:56 AM

   Refresh ...

   Just in case some new rapscallion has sneaked aboard the good ship
   Mudcat and might have information about the whereabouts on the web of
   the tune I'm after!