I find your observations interesting, especially in that a march
usually listed as a retreat like "Battle of the Somme" seems to
want-- at least for me-- to move along a bit. I guess these are
mostly Amercan tunes, but how do you feel about "rattlers"--which are
sometimes noted as retreats? "Morgan's Rattler" also seems to be kind
of speedy, but maybe i'm playing it wrong.

CliffA

The retreat march is not, as Stan suggests, necessarily a march time
tune which would be marched to - as often as not it was played as
part of the evening ritual in the military camp as day duties gave
way to night ones. It was not linked to the military manoeuvre of
retreating in or from battle but was linked to the idea of refuge and
safety in the camp. Some contemporary players, assuming that the
retreat march is to be marched to, crank it up to a  kind of
swaggering, kilt swinging, tempo which robs the airs of the inherent
melancholy quality which many possess.