David brought some CDs back from Scotland, including "Sole Music" by
The Scottish Stepdance Company, which I was interested in of course
because of the stepdancing.  One of the tunes on the CD is "The
Battle of Waterloo," a march credited to Donald MacLeod.  I have
adored this tune ever since I heard it on Hamish Moore's recording,
"Dannsa' air an Drochaid."  Hamish plays it beautifully there and
Hilda Chaisson's piano playing really sets it off.  I never succeeded
in finding the tune though; I was misled by the notes to that tape,
which attributed the tune to J. Scott Skinner -- which didn't seem to
fit the type of tune, but there it was in print.  Anyway, now I see
from consulting James Stewart's TuneIndex at www.ceolas.org, that
"The Battle of Waterloo" is in D. MacLeod's 3rd Collection, which of
course I don't have.  I can learn it from the recordings so that's
not so terrible.  The bad thing is that the notes on the "Sole Music"
CD say "a classic 4/4 march by the infamous Skye piper" which means
that we must all be supposed to know why Donald MacLeod is infamous
BUT I DON'T KNOW!!!  So, can somebody please help me out?

- Kate D.
--
http://www.DunGreenMusic.com
Halifax, Nova Scotia