I went to great session on Friday, one that previously I knew nothing
about. It's in a village about ten miles away from where I am (Crieff),
and it's mostly fiddlers, and mostly young fiddlers at that. They
opened with a couple of Irish tunes, and I thought "Oh no, another
Irish session in the heart of Scotland...", but for the rest of the
evening the majority of music was Scottish, and it was great.

Turns out they were mostly the Blackford Fiddlers, and I asked some
questions. The doyen of the group, Pete Cope, started a community-based
group in the village of Blackford, Perthshire, where the aim was the
encourage and teach fiddle playing as an everyday community activity,
and not something elite which only very talented people do. There is
now a group of about forty people of all ages (but mostly young) in
this wee village playing fiddle, and they often travel to sessions and
festivals simply to play. In addition to the Friday session I attended,
they also conduct a weekly Sunday session in Blackford itself.

The five younger fiddlers at the Friday session ranged from about
sixteen to twenty-four, and in addition there was a couple of older
fiddlers (including Pete Cope), a couple of guitars, a bodhran, a
bouzouki, and me on mandolin and whistle. The youngsters apparently
idolize Catriona Macdonald, so we had a few tunes from her repertoire.

The obvious enjoyment they got from playing was wonderful to see, and
it's so encouraging to discover such a revolution. It has inspired me
to think about what I could do here in Crieff. How can I get young
people interested in traditional music? What would be the best way of
organizing it? Much food for thought.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]