I also got a flood of digests last night.  I stopped receiving them in
January this year for no obvious reason.  I tried re-subscribing a number of
times without success.  Thought I'd been blacklisted!  Nice to see all the
old familiar names still here - same old arguments?

Re David's banjo stardom I remember several years ago now being in one the
busy pubs at the Newcatleton festival (a local festival of music and beer in
the Scottish Borders) when a light went on that bright I thought it might be
the coming of the Lord.  No - it was a television crew.  I saw the camera
and launched into some Shetland tunes that I can actually play, but the
camera stayed with us all through that five reel set and then somebody else
started playing a tune I'd never heard of (it was "Nancy" - I know it quite
well now).  Anyway THAT'S when the camera moved in for a close up of the
fingers and bow.  It turns out it was a programme being made on the Border
Reivers called "Debateable Lands".  This programme features one very anxious
looking fiddler near the end of the programme staring at the finger board
trying to guess at what the tune might be doing with his bow moving at
random intervals.  To make a bad situation worse - the programme was based
on George MacDonald Fraser's book "The Steel Bonnets" (a very good book in
fact - I'd recommend it to anybody interested in Scottish Border history).
In the book he claims near the end that the Borders face (craggy, thick-set
and coarse I think) is still recognisable in faces to this day.  In the book
he cites Richard Millhouse Nixon as having the typical Border face.  In the
film it's me!  Aaaaaaaargh!!

Cheers

Eric