The August '02 and September '02 issues of the Piping Times have articles that
discuss copyright.  There were written by Duncan McCrone, who is the Scottish
manager of MCPS (Mechanical-Copyright Protection Ltd.)  These are written
from the point of view of protecting compositions written by folks now living.

> Steve Wyrick wrote:
> Jack Campin wrote:
>> American copyright law is weird and American copyright law on broad-
>> casting is even weirder.  Anybody know how it ever came about that
>> US radio broadcasters don't pay any royalties?
>
> Can that be right?  I don't know much about American copyright law but I do
> know BMI collects royalties from radio stations for songs played and
> distributes them to songwriters who are members. -Steve

I was told several years ago how things work in America.  Assuming things
haven't changed, and that I was told correctly, here's roughly how it works.

Radio stations submit playlists and royalties to one (or two) of several BMI-
like collecting agencies.  The agencies collate the statistics and determine
the top X (10, 100, 1000, whatever) artists/groups that have been played over
the past month.  *All* royalties are divided up between those top X people.
Nothing goes to the artists and groups who aren't in that top X list.

I'm sure details given above aren't *quite* right.  It might be that the
collection time period is a week, 20 days, a quarter, or something else.  It
could also be that the royalties are divided equally or prorated.  Regardless
of those specifics, that's how US radio is supposed to work.

                                Wayne