Nigel Gatherer wrote:

> Ted Hastings wrote:
>
> > The Fiddlecase Books edition of Marshall's Scottish Melodies was
> > mentioned on the list recently. I managed to track down a copy at
> > Birchwood Books. They have several other copies in stock if anyone is
> > interested. See:
>
> > www.birchwoodbooks.co.uk
>
> Thanks for this, Ted. I received my copy from Birchwood in the post
> yesterday, and I'm delighted. It's not the best reproduction, but it's
> certainly good enough for me, and it's not so easy getting Marshall's
> collected compositions anywhere else.
>
> He wrote a fair few jigs, didn't he?
>
> --
> Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/
>
> Posted to Scots-L - The Traditional Scottish Music & Culture List - To

Note that there is a 4 page issue of Marshall's tunes that's not
included in the Fiddlecase Books reprint. The copy I saw (Library
of Congress) had the same title page as the original collection
(1781?). Below is a list of them. These are also listed in Charles
Gore's 'The Scottish Fiddle Music Index'.

Contents:
The Marquis of Huntly's Farewell; WMR2 1:
Miss Dallas's Reel; WMR2 1:
Miss Grant of Knockando's Reel; WMR2 1:
Lady Anne Hope's Reel; WMR2 2:
Miss Jean Stewart's Reel; WMR2 2:
Miss Sally Eglinton's Reel; WMR2 2:
Miss Burnet's Reel; WMR2 3:
Lord Alexander Gordon's Reel; WMR2 3: Reprinted- Lord Alexr.
  Gordon's Reel_by Mr.  Marshall; McGlashan-AMR2 38:
Kiss Ketty Allan's Reel; WMR2 3:
Miss Halkets Reel; WMR2 3:
Miss Wedderburn's Reel; WMR2 4:
Miss Ann Stewart Reel; WMR2 4:
Miss Watson's Reel; WMR2 4:

Bruce Olson
--
Roots of Folk: Old British Isles popular and folk songs, tunes,
broadside ballads at my website <A