Kathie wrote:

> I'm new to your list and wanted to introduce myself quickly.  My
> name's Kathie and I'm in the US, in Washington State, and am a
> pianist/keyboardist. My interest in Scottish/Celtic music is a fairly
> recent thing (sorry!), and I joined this list in hopes of learning a
> bit more about it - this looked like a good place to start.

I'll bet you're thinking otherwise now. Apart from a flurry of activity
a couple of months ago, this mailing list is practically dead. However,
one thing to shock it into life is to ask questions, so if there's
anything you want to know, please go ahead and ask.

> My initial background is classical, but that branched off some time
> ago into jazz and other things, so my interests are a bit varied.
> I'm hoping to travel to Scotland in the next few months, and was
> hoping to learn as much as I could about some of the traditional
> music before I got there.

When are you coming? Where are you going? Have you heard of keyboard
player Andy Thorburn? Violet Tulloch is a respected piano accompanist
of the old style. The Cape Breton fiddlers tend to take more interest
in their pianists, I believe, than the Scots.

In these days of pub sessions, you don't see a lot of piano playing.
There was a women in Edinburgh who played a melodica - that instrument
which you blew through, but which had a little keyboard with which to
make the notes. She attached a long plastic hose to the end and laid it
flat on the table. She'd blow through the hose and play the melodica
like a tiny piano. In one episode of Star Trel TNG Jean-Luc Picard - a
whistle player - met a woman with whom he'd go off for picnics. At one
she took out a tied-up roll of cloth. She untied it and rolled it out
flat to reveal a keyboard, and they jammed for a while. I believe that
it won't be too long before that technology will be with us, so we'll
start to see pianists unrolling their instrument onto pub tables.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]