>> The use of this music at the time is nearly invisible to history,
>> as it was mostly by women wealthy enough to have access to a harp,
>> which meant domestic performance.  But it's obvious that women
>> were the major market for instrumental sheet music, and the harp
>> was their central instrument.
> But it wasn't the clarsach, and it was not a Scottish tradition. Like
> Scott's daughters, they were taught harp on a ruddy great big
> continental monster with levers and stuff. It was an orchestral harp.

Not quite the modern one: the Erard design is from 1810.  Bigger and
louder than a typical modern clarsach, but the range used for Scottish
repertoire is generally no wider and fancy chromaticisms are rare.

> Unless, of course, the harp at Abbotsford is actually some later
> Victorian horror just put there because there are so many references
> to the girls' harp playing.

Scott could well have afforded to be first on the block with an Erard
(and being a superstar he could probably have dropped a hint and got
one free, the way Madonna doesn't pay for anything).  They must have
taken a long time to supersede older types in the rest of Scotland,
particularly given the series of recessions that hit the country
between 1815 and 1848.  At some point I need to look at music shop
advertisements to see what types were being sold when.

> I sort of assume that 'real' harp music must be older than that, and use
> a smaller instrument altogether, since that is what's shown in pictures
> or carvings etc - a lap harp, not a floor harp, and live tuning, not
> levers. Also, even with a very sturdy apprentice, a harper couldn't
> really lug around something made to sit permanently in a palace or big
> country home. Itinerant harpers must have had instruments of a size you
> could manage on a packhorse, or maybe even on your own back. I'm aware
> that some players were extremely well paid and spent long periods in
> each castle/big hoos, and had large and costly instruments. But is that
> all there was?

Nobody knows.  There's a good Darwinian reason why nothing smaller than
the Lamont harp escaped being used for kindling.

I have come across an account of some gent in the Highlands in the middle
of the eighteenth century buying a spinet.  He got one of his workers
to carry the thing single-handed on his back on a two-day trip with no
made roads.  A human back could easily carry a Lamont harp if driven by
a sufficient degree of poverty and/or clan loyalty.

A harp isn't an instrument you can expect to move around a lot and set
up quickly; there are far too many strings far too sensitive to damp
and temperature.  There are a number of accounts of harpists taking
up residence in a house for a season, and that makes sense given the
way it works.  If you want to be ready to play for a dance in a barn
at a moment's notice you want something with fewer strings or none at
all.