Philip Whittaker wrote:

> Did you know that Chris Stout wrote the tune Hamnataing to go with
> this tune...

As soon as I read the above I remembered that you'd already said that
in a previous post. Now I'll have to learn "Hamnataing" - and how to
pronounce it!

> Let me know if you need the music as Sibelius 6 file.

That would be useful, Philip - thanks.

> Isn't Hut on Staffin Siland a great mandolin tune!

It certainly is. I've started playing with a good guitar player up at
Loch Tummel, and that one always hits the mark. At my Wednesday session
every time I shout out "Staten Island!" at least one person breaks into
"The Hut On Staffin Island" - or, as you call it "Hut on Staffin
Siland."

Re "Staten Island" - Jack Campin once told us

"...Staten Island (a.k.a. Burns' Hornpipe).  Now *maybe* this relates
to the one in New York harbour, but there is another Staten Island near
Cape Horn that might have been well-known to sailors..."

There has also been mention of a confusion with the State Iskands.
Someone else on the Tradtunes list said

"I had always thought that Staten Island, at least in sea music,
referred to the Staten Island off the coast of Argentina.  Sailors sang
about it because when they saw it, it mean they had rounded the horn
and were heading for home..."

I have also heard that there's another Staten Island in the Arctic, but
I haven't confirmed this. Bayard linked the tune with "The Athole
Volunteers March" by Niel Gow - which I can see, just - but I tend not
to take much notice of any Bayard references.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]