>> This one seems never to have made it into a book; at least it isn't
>> in Charlie Gore's index.
> None of the single sheets or four-page publications are in Gore.

I knew that - the point I was making was that no anthologist seems
to have picked up the tune and renamed it; I can;t see anything that
might be it in Gore under any other name in any key.  It's fairly
unusual to find a tune in a sheet like this that doesn't occur in
*some* form in a book.  "The Persian Dance" from the same sheet did
get into the repertoire, via George Cameron, despite being less
melodically interesting.

Presumably all the anthologists took one look at the key signature
and thought "omigod, commercial death".  There is a saying in the
publishing world that for popular science books, every equation you
include cuts the sales by 10% - the same is probably true of key
signatures with more than 3 sharps or 2 flats in the field of tune
books.

> Skinner also published tunes in two- or three-tune sets which aren't
> listed. If I remember correctly, well-known tunes such as "The Spey
> in Spate" can't be found in Gore.

That's partly because it came too late for his cutoff date; maybe
Murdoch Henderson was the first person to put it in a book?

> The Gow-published sheets of this kind are numerous, and I've had a look
> at a great many in Perth

I think by now I must have seen at least one copy of every one that
still exists, either at the NLS, Dundee, Perth or the Mitchell.  While
I was researching the CD-ROM I often found myself sitting next to a
bloke who was doing a systematic bibliography of all the Gows' work,
going through these sheets with a transillumination light to check the
watermarks; he told me he started that only after independently doing
a lot of what Charlie did without realizing there was anyone else doing
such work.  So he switched direction a bit.  I haven't seen him for
about three years and have no idea what he's done with his research.

> One very interesting sheet is "Largo's Fairy Dance" which turns out to
> be a suite of two tunes: "The Fairies Advancing" - a slow march - and
> "The Fairy Dance", both composed by Nathaniel Gow for the Fife Hunt in
> about 1802.

I didn't note down the way it appears there, but here is how it looked
when it was first published in book form, which probably wasn't very
different:

X:1
T:Largo's Fairy Dance
C:Nath. Gow
S:Niel Gow, Fifth Collection
B:NLS Glen.408(1)
M:2/4
L:1/8
K:C
z|({cd}e2) ec|    e2 ec |({cd}e2) ec |     BG dB  |
  ({cd}e2) ec|   (fe)dc |     B>G d>B|     c2 C  :|
f|({ef}g2) ge|{^g}a2 a=g|   (Tfe).f.d|({ef}g2)g>f |
    {f}e>de>c|    A2 f>d|     BGAB   |     c2 c>f |
  ({ef}g2) ge|{^g}a2 a=g|    Tf>efd  | {^f}g2 g>=f|
    {f}e>dec |    A2 f>d|     B>GA>B |     c2 C  |]

That would create a few puzzled expressions in a session...