I think his observations reflect the physical characteristics of the fiddle.

Oh yes, I am such a fiddlehead that I forgot to say that. I often recognize the key a fiddle is playing in from the character of the tone (although possibly I'm subconsciously noticing which strings are open as well), but I don't know the key (unless I guess from knowing the tune) when I listen to other instruments because I am not familiar enough with them and don't have perfect pitch. I'm going to start watching for Jack's colours.

- Kate D.