[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The recent post about William Marshall made me wonder where I can buy
> books of his compositions.
>
> The closer to the original the better; best of all are copies of originals.
>
> Bob Rogers
> South Carolina

The only collected Marshall I'm aware of is the Fiddlecase Books edition
called "Marshall's Scottish Melodies, Airs, Strathspeys, Reels, Jigs &c. for
the Violin."  It's a repro of 4 volumes of his works (A Collection of
Strathspeys, Reels.. published 1781, Kinrara, pub. 1800, Marshall's Scottish
Airs pub. 1822, and Volume 2 of a Collection of Scottish Melodies... pub.
1845) but is problematic in that it's reproduced at probably less than 1/2
size, being about 6 x 8 inches in a spiral binding.  Considering the quality
of print of the originals wasn't all that great to begin with, this size
makes it a little tough to sight-read the tunes.  I've been tempted to
photocopy and enlarge the whole thing to make it more usable but the
publishers claim a copyright on the collection and I'm not sure if it's
legit to reproduce it (considering it's simply a reproduction of the
originals which are in public domain, plus a 1 page introduction, I don't
see how their copyright is valid, but what do I know?).

At any rate, Elderly Instruments has it for $12.35US; see
http://www.elderly.com/books/items/38-3.htm . -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California