| A quick query - is it correct that both Skye Boat Song and Mairi's
| Wedding are originally songs in Scots Gaelic - ? And would you call the
| better-known lyrics 'Scots' or 'English' - ? (I'm currently revising the
| Notes for 'Airs For Pairs' and want to be accurate, and not to offend!)

There were a number of articles about Mairi's  Wedding  a  few  years
back, when the original Mary celebrated her 90th birthday. One is at:

http://www.standingstones.com/songorg.html

According to this article, the song was  first  in  Gaelic,  and  was
translated  to  English soon after by a friend.  You may have noticed
that the song doesn't  actually  mention  a  wedding;  it's  about  a
celebration  with  food  and  dance but without really describing the
occasion. It was really about her singing and dancing. She didn't get
married until 6 years later, when the dance we all know was created.