Title: RE: [Scottish] sql
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

> appologies (and feeling really silly right now)
> this trivial question was not meant for this group.
> I was just looking for a quick and lazy answer from a work
> mate whos an informix 4gl answer so I could quickly test something.
>
> On Tuesday 28 January 2003 3:16 pm, Tam McLaughlin wrote:
> > i am trying something in mysql but can't remember any sql.
> > Say i have a field called name in table 1 and i want to select the
> > name and the number of times that name appears in the table,
> > how would i do it?
> > If u can tell me, i can find the equiv syntax in mysql
> > thanks.

No exactly sure if you;re after the number of times the value "name" appears in the name of a field or whether a field name has a value "whatever" x number of times

Assuming the latter

select count(*) as 'no_of_times'
from table1
where name = 'whatever'

last one can be
   where name like '%whatever%' if you want to find the value anywhere in the string

cds